OVERVIEW & PURPOSE
Learn about the four “pillars” of community in the historically- African American Northside neighborhood in Chapel Hill.
- Get to know the history of segregation in Chapel Hill and the richness of the Northside and other African American communities.
- Understand what community is and the four “pillars” that made up the Northside community. Meet Northside residents whose stories can be found in our online oral history archive.
- Learn about the people in the stories and see yourself as a history maker and agent of change.
- a printed copy of one of the Northside Community Storybooks below
- markers, colored pencils, crayons
- Become the illustrator for the Northside Community Storybook and have fun!
- Home: Keith Edwards’s Story
- Home: R.D. and Euzelle Smith’s Story
- School (Northside): Janie Alston’s Story
- School (Lincoln): Carol Brooks’s Story
- Church: Pat Jackson’s Story
- Business: Bynum and Susie Weaver’s Story
- Civil Rights: The Clementine Self Story
- Environmental Justice: The Rev. Robert Campbell and David Caldwell Story