The Student Leadership Group (SLG) is a community team of student residents and partners dedicated to realizing and sustaining the power of the UNC student body to connect, engage, and mobilize shared interests of Northside neighbors. This is an opportunity for dedicated student service partners to expand their involvement in the community beyond direct service by working on longer-term projects and mobilizing, educating, and leading their fellow students.
- Share our experiences and perspectives as UNC students living and/or serving in Northside and Pine Knolls
- Learn the history, challenges, and current pressures that historically and currently affect Northside
- Conceive the role students play and have played in fighting for the sustained wellbeing of this community.
2021-2022 Strategic Action
- Work alongside interested neighbors to plan and coordinate neighborhood porch parties and other community events
- Organize fundraising events, pursue grant opportunities, and implement creative fundraising efforts to create freedom through stewardship
- Create spaces for intergenerational dialogue around experiences and perspectives as UNC students living in Northside
- Provide additional support for the Jackson Center’s work in the community, as needs arise (for eldercare, student engagement, housing justice, other relevant issues)
- Collaborate with community partners on projects to improve quality of life for residents
- Positively influence student behavior by educating fellow students through the Northside News and digital communication
2021-2022 SLG Members
Tu-Uyen (Valerie) Nguyen