Heavenly Groceries Food Ministry Coordinator
Part-time position (15 hrs/wk) at $15/hr
About the Position:
The Jackson Center is looking for a 15 hr/wk part-time volunteer coordinator to lead the management, training, and coordination of volunteers during weekday afternoons (1:30-4:30 pm) when Heavenly Groceries is in full operation. This position is ideal for recent graduates, professionals interested or experienced working in non-profit, food security advocates, and individuals looking for dedicated, community-based part-time work. This position pays $15 an hour, has a projected start date of mid-October, and requires 3-months initial commitment (through mid-January).
About Heavenly Groceries:
Heavenly Groceries is a faith-based, grocery store-style food ministry of St. Joseph C.M.E. run by long-term community volunteers dedicated to providing daily groceries for free to anybody who needs them. Heavenly Groceries has been in operation over 15 years and serves a wide spectrum of perishable and non-perishable foods, gathered from several grocery stores across Orange County, every week-day afternoon.
The Jackson Center, a place-based non-profit next door to St. Joseph C.M.E., partners with Heavenly Groceries by organizing over 100 volunteers every year, from the university and community, to support feeding over 1,000 people a month from four different counties. These volunteers drive the church van to pick up food, lift boxes of food into the church fellowship hall, and sort the food for daily distribution.
- Manage daily comings and goings of volunteers
- Train new volunteers on their first day of serving at Heavenly Groceries
- Recruit volunteers for academic breaks (Winter, Spring, and Summer)
- Be the main point of communication for St. Joseph volunteers who run Heavenly Groceries, MCJC staff, and volunteers
- Be the back-up person to do the food pick-ups in case there are no volunteers that day or last minute cancelations
- Must be available 1:30-4:30pm each week day. Hours are not flexible
- Must have an active driver’s license
- Be able to pick up heavy boxes (20-30 pounds)
- Available to work even when Jackson Center is closed, except on major federal holidays
Ideal candidates will
- Have experience recruiting and coordinating volunteers
- Understand the power of faith based ministry
- Respect and appreciate intergenerational leadership
- Be skilled in communicating and building relationships with people of many different socio-economic backgrounds and experiences.
- Have a passion for alleviating food insecurity
- Experience working with UNC students (primarily undergraduates)
Please submit a cover letter and resume to George Barrett (email@example.com). Interviews will occur on a rolling basis until the position is filled. For any questions please contact George Barrett or call the Jackson Center office 919-960-1670