Northside Student Leadership Group
“To build community requires vigilant awareness of the work we must continually do to undermine all the socialization that leads us to behave in ways that perpetuate domination.”- bell Hooks
The Jackson Center is proud to support a team of UNC student neighbors eager to lead the charge for community in Northside. Students of all years looking for a high level of engagement and willing to commit for at least one year are encouraged to apply.
Application deadline for 2018-19 has passed.
The Student Leadership Group (SLG) is a coalition of student residents and partners dedicated to realizing and sustaining the power of the UNC Student Body to connect, engage, and mobilize shared interests of Northside Neighbors.
What we are looking for:
Members of the student leadership group are neighbors in action! We are looking for students who want to use their experience and perspectives as UNC students living and serving in the historically black neighborhoods of Northside, Pine Knolls, and Tin-Top to actively ensure the sustained well-being of this community.
SLG members will:
- Lead Neighborhood Porch /Pop-Up events.
- Organize fundraising events, pursue grant opportunities, and implement creative fundraising efforts to create freedom through stewardship.
- Pilot the first intentional living learning home for community minded undergraduate students seeking to live, work, and support the neighborhoods.
- Implement neighborhood communication mechanisms to increase resident turnout at community gatherings and local policy meetings affecting Northside, Pine Knolls, and Tin-Top.
- Create spaces for intergenerational dialogue around experiences and perspectives as UNC students living in Northside.
Interested applicants must complete the Google form here by the application deadline. Service Partner Orientations will be scheduled on a rolling basis for those interested who have never served with Jackson Center. For more information about the Jackson Center please visit our website www.jacksoncenter.info or give us a call at 919-960-1670.