2018 Summer Fellowship
The Jackson Center is proud to offer up to four graduate and undergraduate student Summer Fellowship positions (late May-early August) 2018. The Jackson Center is a local grassroots non-profit organization located at the gateway of the historic Northside Neighborhood, one of the historically Black neighborhoods of Chapel Hill. Our mission is to honor, renew, and build community in the historic Northside and Pine Knolls neighborhoods of Chapel Hill.
Semi-full time (32hrs/week) paid fellowship positions are available: $3000 stipend for 10 weeks.
Applications will be accepted until February 16th.
Decisions made by March 9th.
Summer fellows will support core Jackson Center community-building work with a special focus on strengthening relationships between students and long-time residents.
Opportunities may include:
- Volunteer coordination, event planning, marketing, and recruitment of local business partners for the Good Neighbor Initiative Walk-Around and Block Party in partnership with UNC office of Off Campus Student Life and Community Partnerships.
- Strengthening our oral history trust: processing interviews, developing our online oral history archive, and supplementing our education programs/workshops
- Coordinating service partners for core direct service opportunities such as Heavenly Groceries Food Ministry , Northside News, celebration and connection events, and more
- Assisting with our home repair advocacy work for elderly, long-time neighbors
- Planning and implementing block celebrations and additional neighborhood gatherings
- Supporting the development and implementation of creative housing strategies that balance the market and compliment the retention of long-term residents
- Participating in key communications and tech support for the Jackson Center
Skills and Experience:
- Preference for current UNC Chapel Hill student residents of Northside. Non-student residents are also encouraged to apply.
- Community involvement and service experience a plus.
- Dedication to connecting and interacting with an intergenerational community.
- Passion for community engagement work.
- Strong project and time management skills.
- Special interest in committing to development of Good Neighbor Initiative in mid-August (extended Fellowship)
Interested applicants must submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com and fill out a the “Jackson Center Summer Fellowship Supplemental” found here: Supplemental Form by the application deadline. Interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis after February 16th.
For more information about the Jackson Center please visit our website www.jacksoncenter.info or give us a call at 919-960-1670.
Email George Barrett at firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions. Thank you!