The Jackson Center is proud to offer up to three graduate and undergraduate student Summer Fellowship positions (late May-mid August) 2020. The Jackson Center is a local grassroots non-profit organization located at the gateway of the historic Northside Neighborhood, one of the historically Black neighborhoods of Chapel Hill. Our mission is to honor, renew, and build community in the historic Northside and Pine Knolls neighborhoods of Chapel Hill.
Semi-full time (32hrs/week) paid positions are available.
$3250 for 10 weeks.
May 26th-July 30th
Applications will be accepted until February 23rd.
Decisions made by March 13th.
Summer fellows will support core Jackson Center community-building work with a special focus on strengthening relationships between students and long-time residents.
Opportunities may include:
- Volunteer coordination, event planning, marketing, and recruitment of local business partners for the Good Neighbor Initiative Walk-Around and Block Party in partnership with UNC office of Off Campus Student Life and Community Partnerships.
- Program support and planning for MCJC student engagement efforts
- Supporting Northside Neighborhood Initiative retention efforts through MCJC Promise of Home repair program for elderly, long-time homeowners.
- Planning and implementing neighborhood block/porch celebrations and additional neighborhood gatherings
- Supporting the development and implementation of creative housing strategies that balance the market and compliment the retention of long-term residents
- Digital communication and design
Skills and Experience:
- Preference for current UNC Chapel Hill student residents of Northside. Non-student residents are also encouraged to apply.
- Community involvement and service experience a plus.
- Dedication to connecting and interacting with an intergenerational community.
- Passion for community engagement work.
- Strong project and time management skills.
- Special interest in committing to development of Good Neighbor Initiative in mid-August (extended Fellowship)
Needs and Stipulations
- Applicants must be able to fulfill 32/hr a week time commitment. There will not be exceptions for summer classes.
* Weekly schedule will be Monday-Thursday 9:00am-5:00pm except during orientation week (5/26-5/29) which will be Tuesday-Friday 9:00am-5:00pm
- Applicants interested in the Good Neighbor Initiative will be employed past 10 week fellowship. Fellow will assist with the Good Neighbor Walk-Around and Block Party that take place in late August and early September.
Interested applicants must submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com and fill out a “Jackson Center Summer Fellowship Supplemental” here: Supplemental Form by 11:59pm on the application deadline. Interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis after February 23rd.
For more information about the Jackson Center please visit our website www.jacksoncenter.info or give us a call at 919-960-1670.
Email George Barrett at firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions. Thank you!